posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop Maxprop is offline

Default Re-core ? ? ?

wrote in message

Oops, Maxprop drops another one. His ranting just goes to show that he
doesn't really know much about it, although he certainly is quick to
accuse me of ignorance. If he had so much as looked over the Mac race
fleet, which happens in his own back yard, he'd see scores of old
warhorse racing yachts that were the hottest stuff in their day and
still going thru the paces. And yet they are supposed to be "throw-
aways"..... then he turns around and gets indignant because I
misattributrd calling them "flimsy" to him also.

First, you apparently have no concept of the Chicago-Mac race. It's
generally a light air event, seldom bringing forth rough weather. My own
boat, Clover, a 1982 Sea Sprite 34, won second in her class a decade ago, in
a year that actually amounted to some good sailing with a consistent 15 kts.
throughout most of the race. That's light air by anyone's standard, but
significantly more than most Macs see. The trial of the Mac, however, is
finding experienced crew--most won't do a second one after drifting north
for a week. Second, I never indicated that Mac boats are throw-aways. I
applied that only to the Hobart maxis. You love to twist my words to fit
your particular brand of anti-social rhetoric. But that's okay--I expect as
much from you.

Come to think of it, I'd also like to see him point out my
"uncivility" also... probably just means that I have the bad manners
to disagree with him

Your lack of civility is seldom seen while addressing issues with others.
You seem to reserve that for Bobsprit and myself, diverse in opinion as he
and I may be. I tend to believe you simply can't get past being termed a
liberal. Revenge is a petty motive in any discussion.

You have a false impression of the structural integrity from these
manufacturers.
They are actually very strong yachts, what lets them down at sea is
things like cupboard latches which just aren't tough enough for a
pounding.
Easily fixed if you want to cruise or even race.

In some models... it may just be the ones sold over here... a lot of
the detailing is not fit for hard sailing (by which I mean spending
many days a year actively sailing the boat in winds of say 15 to 30
knots, corresponding seas... not extreme conditions). Another issue
are things like the wiring & plumbing fit-out which are not well
enough finished off to avoid corrosion, chafing, creeping &
progressive mis-alignment, etc etc.

Do I detect an implication of "flimsy?" Glad I didn't say that. g

Max