posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
You You is offline

Default Converting Diesel engines to burn Bio-fuel

In article Z4Tdi.38588$vT6.16597@edtnps90,
"Gordon Wedman" wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
Has anyone here converted your boats engine over to burn bio-fuels?

The smell of french fry, or duncan doughnuts exhaust fumes sure would
be nicer than diesel.

Here in Houston we have a dealer than will deliver and it's cheaper
than Diesel fuel.

Joe

What sort of "conversion" were you thinking of doing? Do you think you
can get special bio-diesel fuel injectors for a marine diesel or maybe a
bio-diesel fuel pump? I doubt it very much. The engine will probably run
fine on the stuff but it may loosen up deposits in the tank and lines.
Long-term effects on the engine unknown.
On MythBusters they got a tank of used cooking oil from a french fry place,
filtered out the chunks and mounted a tank on the roof of an old Mercedes
diesel. Car started right up and ran fine. Got only 1 mpg less than on
pump diesel.

Just remember that MythBusters is a Southern Kalifornia production, and
if you tried that in Frostbite Falls Minisota, in the winter you would be
doing a lot of walking or rowing as the case may be. Diesel #2 doesn't
even think of gelling untill your down to 10F and Diesel #1 clear down
to -30F or lower. Frier Grease will turn solid at 40F if your not
careful.