posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing
druid druid is offline

Default Mac26X fit for all waters

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 17:53:42 +0200, Ed Gordon wrote:

Jeff wrote in
:
So please explain to us which boats it sails faster than. You've said
many times that its a "fast sailer" but when I look at the ratings, I
have trouble finding a boat remotely comparable to a Mac that isn't
10% faster, or more. In fact, its real hard to find a boat that's
slower than a Mac. So please, give us an example of a boat that sails
slower than a Mac.

Any boat that has less length waterline will be slower than a Mac under
sail.

Yeah... I'm sure the Martin 242 (or Hotfoot 20) sailors are shaking in
their boots when they see a Mac26 next to them...

But since the Mac is a plaining hull it can go faster than heavy
ballast keel boats in winds strong enough to plain it off. You want an
example, just look up boats that have less than a 23 feet. Here's one
much slower Alerion Express 20.

I watched a Mac26 and a Catalina 27 sail upwind in about 10-15knots (from
ahead of course, I was in my Catalina 36...). They looked about equal,
although the Mac was heeling unbeleivably at times. Then they tacked...
and it turned out the Mac had so much leeway it was 1/2 mile behind!

Thanks, but I think even a trailerable Cat 22 would beat a Mac26 (and
doesn't capsize for no reason, and will take more than 5 passengers...)

druid - has had 12 on his Cal 25 without it capsizing
http://www.bcboatnet.org