posted to alt.sailing.asa
[email protected] dougking888@yahoo.com is offline

Default Re-core ? ? ?

OzOne wrote...
Biggest problem with foam cores is that they will break down and
granulate.
Seen this on many Syd-Hobart racers after the really big races
pounding to windward.

"Maxprop" wrote:
Most unusual circumstances, Oz. 99.9% of the rest of the boats in the world
won't ever see that level of abuse.

Sailing to windward in higher winds is "abuse"? Funny, I had the idea
that's what boats were supposed to be built for.

And those Hobart boats are generally
throw-away boats after a single race.

Utter nonsense. They are no more "throw-away boats" than your 1D35...
less so, if anything (correct me if I'm wrong, but have 1D35s sailed
any mjor offshore races?)

Ellison's "Sayonara" is in a building
in Holland, MI, looking brand new, with the material for a new keel lying
under her, and she hasn't been touched in over a decade. Larry must have
lost interest in her, and it's "easier" to pay the rent to keep her stored
than to worry about what to do with her.

It's more a matter that nobody else will buy her for more than scrap
value. It will take a tremendous wad of cash to put her back in
sailing order again. And if she's "looking brand new" then she must
not have been a "throw-away boat" eh?

Save the self-contradiction for political stuff, Max!

DSK