posted to alt.sailing.asa
[email protected] dougking888@yahoo.com is offline

Default Re-core ? ? ?

OzOne wrote:
Biggest problem with foam cores is that they will break down and
granulate.
Seen this on many Syd-Hobart racers after the really big races
pounding to windward.

Heck, anything will break if you pound it hard enough, long enough.

Sounds to me like the problem might be a difference between the
fiberglass fatigue properties and the foam fatigue. Even if the bond
doesn't break down, tiny bits within the foam get excessive fatigue
and break up. Maybe?? Or is it from small areas of skin bond failure?

Would denser foam hold up better?

I have a couple of ideas how foam cored structures could be build to
accept higher load cycles, but am occupied with other things at the
moment

Fresh Breezes- Doug King