K. Smith

Default Is my oil injection working

Sockmonkey wrote:

How do I know if my oil injection is working? I have a 50 hp Johnson, I
think it is a 98 or a 99. I noticed that I haven't added oil in a while and
the tank still looks relatively full. How long would an outboard run without
oil before siezing up?

Not long.

How can I test that the engine is still getting oil.

Mark the oil tank with a pencil or whatever then put some tcw3 in the fuel
tank at about 50 to 1 (just in case:-)).
Use it for a while then top the fuel tank up & the oil tank back to your
mark, to see how much oil it's taking from the oil tank. It should be using it
at the rate of about 50 to 1 if it isn't, have the vro oil injection
disconnected & just add tcw3 to the fuel tank at the rate of 50 to 1.

The OMC oiling system is expensive to maintain & very expensive to replace
plus it's not reliable in any manner, so to be safe most people just disconnect
it. remove the oil tank, mark their fuel filler with a placard to say it
definitely needs tcw3 in the fuel tank & never any more worries.

Thanks