Warren Reichert

Default over loading - tell me you you have experienced and help me

Hello Gregory: Couple of things for starters. Your Bayliner has a
capacity plate somewhere in the cockpit, probably around the instrument
[anel or to the right of it. That will give you the recommended safe
load. Overloading can cause sluggish performance So can improper
not plane and becomes hard to handle.

Another cause of poor performance can be the wrong prop. Props
identified by pitch and diameter. One size does not fit all. A smaller
diameter is appropriate for a heavier load and vice versa. It is like a
car goiing uphill -- if it is in the wrong gear it will lug and be
unresponsive.

You didn; say whether you bought your boat from a dealer or private
party. If it was a dealer it is perfectlyacceptable to consult with him.
In fact, he should be happy to do so. If you bought it privately, the
previous owner may be happy to share his knowledge of that hull and
motor. Also, most dealers are willing to share with new boaters even if
the boat was purchased elsewhere. Many dealers also have free literature
on boat safety and handling put out by the Coast Guard and Cal Boating.

Were I you, I also would seek out a neighbor or fellow employee who is
an experienced boater and try to get some hands-on information. I
notice that you boat at Lake Camanche. I'm fro Stockton. Where do you
live?