posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing
Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Mac26X fit for all waters

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 08:18:06 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

Though I won't go ocean sailing, I can't exclude the possibility of
getting caught in 6-8' waves in the Gulf. I'm not sure the Marshall
22 would be safer in that than the Mac 26.

A windy day sailing in the Gulf is comparable to being on the ocean.
The only real difference is that the swells are smaller but it is not
the swells that bother you.

There are *no* boats in the 20 ft range suitable for 6 to 8 ft wind
waves in my opinion. The boat will probably survive if it doesn't
capsize but the people will be in rough shape after a short time.
Even 40 footers get tiresome upwind in 6 to 8 ft waves unless they
are very heavily built.