William G. Andersen

Default over loading - tell me you you have experienced and help me

I have a stern drive, so I don't know how to trim an outboard.
But, I often have my 19' bowrider fully loaded with children, grandchildren,
cooler and toys. The boat seems to handle the same, regardless of load, and
only acceleration is affected.
I also have a hydrofoil: the fin gets me on plane at lower speed and lets me
stay there, too - great for beginning wakeboarding, which is done right
about the speed I get on plane.

"Gregory McGuire" wrote in message
Today I went to lake camanche (in California), and I think I overloaded my
boat and it handled like it was listing to one side and then the other. I
was afraid that if I went too fast that I could loose control. Steering

was
very heavy and unresponsive. I wanted to make two trips but my younger
brother said we were going to be all right.
The boat is a 1975 bayliner mutiny 1700. Registration says 16'2''
NADA guides gives me this information:
Length: 16'
Model Name/Description: 1700 MUTINY
Boat Type: Outboard Boats
Hull Material: Fiberglass
Beam: 6' 10"
Engine:
Net Weight: 900

Boat has a '85 mercury 900/90 horse inline 6
NADA guides gives me this information
Model: 90EL
Motor Type: Gasoline
Volts (Electric Motors):
Thrust (Electric Motors):
Horsepower: 90
Cylinders: 6
Start Type: Electric
Dry Weight: 300
Power Tilt and Trim: No

=========================
pic of boat:
http://users.rcn.com/neptunium/boat/mutiny
Boat has seats for 4, Boat was loaded this way:
4 adults
me - 175/lbs.
Pete-170/lbs.
Maria-185/lbs.
don-160/lbs.
1 child - Brandon 65/lbs. (sat on lap left front with maria)
2 - gas cans with 5 gal of fuel
1 battery
2 ice chests
3 skies
5 life vests
1 knee board
one of those tubes
1 seedless watermelon
4 beach chairs
4 beach towels
1 paddle
other small stuff
=======================
The outboard has a trim fin looks similar to this
http://users.rcn.com/neptunium/boat/trim
how does this affect the boat in turns, my boat seems to want to roll on a
hard turn like it would
roll over so I just turn wheel other direction and it seems to come back

up.
(two people in boat pulling kneeboard)
Boat was trimmed 2nd hole from transom. Is this a good place to trim the
motor?
This is my first boat. I need advise. Tell me what you have experienced,
tell me what you know about handling a boat
and the feel of driving a boat over loaded/ loaded correctly.
How are you trimming your motor?
My motor has manual trim.
I know this is a hard question to figure, but I know that there is someone
in this forum
with the knowledge and experience to help me out.

GREGORY