Rural Knight

Default Deep Cycle vs. Trolling Batteries

wrote in message
On 20 Aug 2003 00:50:01 -0700, (kcb559) wrote:

What is the difference between a Deep Cycle battery and a Trolling
battery? I'm buying a Minn Kota Endura 30 electric trolling motor and
can't decide on the battery. Even the salesman gives an unsure answer
as to the difference between the two. Which one do I buy???

-KCB

The difference you want to look at is between a trolling and a starting

battery.
There are some batteries that even claim to be both. What you want is a

deep
cycle battery that is specifically designed for trolling. Otherwise your

motor
will run like a rabbit for about 30 minutes and then taper off quickly.

The original question was the difference between a deep cycle and
a trolling battery where there is no difference - a deep cycle battery
is a trolling battery.

The difference between a start battery and a deep cycle battery is
that the starting battery has thinner plates allowing for initial high
amp discharge, but have zero capacity for long term discharge.

Deep cycle batteries are the opposite.

Here's a great discussion of batteries.

http://uuhome.de/william.darden/

Later,