posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing
Ed Gordon Ed Gordon is offline

Default Mac26X fit for all waters

Vic Smith wrote in
:

I couldn't find any Farr 7.5's for sale in the U.S., but maybe they
come on market sometimes. Do they still make them? Looks like
a nice boat. Probably not many made the trip to the U.S.
There was a long thread in the Mac forum where an Aussie
went through contortions having a Mac 26X shipped there.
Shipping container prices, fumigation, trailer rules/modifications,
etc. Ended costing him quite a bit. I couldn't quite figure why he
would do it.
Then another Aussie mentioned the outrageous price asked for the Mac
there (60k AUS for the X, 70k AUS for the M) and said that despite his
costs he will come out ahead should he decide to sell it off. He is
himself arranging an import.
The X and M are almost identical, with the M being the newer version.
A new M in the U.S. will cost maybe 30-34K U.S. tricked out with a
4-stroke 50HP and other common add-ons. I think the bare boat itself
with trailer and just a mainsail is 20-24K U.S.
Apparently trade between the U.S. and Oz/NZ is well restricted between
distance and regs. One of my sons recently sold his Chicago based
Bayliner powerboat for an attractive price (he wanted a quick sale) to
an Aussie working in Indiana. The fellow told my son he would be
sending the boat off for sale in Australia and pocket 10k U.S. on the
deal.
All very strange. Another of my sons now resides in Sydney and tells
me there are similar price anomalies with some U.S. cars, where older
models not given a second look here (Ford Taurus, eg) sell for
seemingly large sums in Australia. If I had more energy I might look
into U.S./Oz import/export business.

The price is good, and the cabin is spacious in feel. I like that.

Pretty scary you would say the price is good for a Mac 26 in Oz/NZ,
given what I've heard. Were you looking there or in the U.S.?
Agree on the Mac 26 cabin. The spartan nature gives it a less
claustrophobic feel than similar sized boats. But some will see that
lack of cabinetry as inadequate stowage.

--Vic

Think of the opportunity for some young Australian adventurer who wants
to make some good money. Hitch a ride on a yacht as crew en route to
California. Buy a Mac26M in California and sail it to Australia. Then
sell it there. Good sailing for the adventurer and good bargain for the
buyer and everybody's happy. I bet some young man or woman could do
three or four trips a year and make a decent enough living.Might even
write a book about it and make even more money.

--
Cheerio,
Ed Gordon