posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing
Ed Gordon Ed Gordon is offline

Default Mac26X fit for all waters

Duncan McC (NZ) wrote in
. nz:

In article ,
egordon873 @aol.com says...
http://www.eskimo.com/~mighetto/p11.htm

Myth#11 Mac26 is not for ocean sailing. Go ahead, click the link and
see just how good and seaworthy a professional captain thinks the Mac
really is. Dare you. Jeff expecially.

Wow gee whiz.

I didn't read all the guff - what a god awful website.

I did find this though...

http://www.ne-ts.com/ar/ar-407capsize.html

You can't blame the boat for that terrible tragedy. It said the guy was
drunk and it said this too: "The boat that capsized on the Fourth of
July and killed two children was overloaded and was being used
incorrectly, according to the boat's manufacturer."

"The 26-foot MacGregor, which is a cross between a sailboat and a power
boat, is designed to hold up to six people, according to Roger
MacGregor, the boat company's owner. The boat carried 11 people the
night of July 4."

"The boat's hybrid design uses a water tank on the bottom to provide
stability. The tank should be filled when there are more than four
people on board, MacGregor said. The tank on the boat driven July 4 by
George Dean Martin was empty, according to the prosecutor in the case."

The guy was dumb and drunk. Don't blame the Mac!!!

My own comments on a Mac 26X - which I tried out (a new one) two years
ago.

Is it a sailing boat or a speedboat? My biggest gripe, for a brand
new boat, is that it is beaten on the water (sailing) by boats that
are 25 years old (eg Farr 7.5, Noelex 25). (I bought a Farr 7.5 in
the end, BTW). I was pleasantly surprised by it's pointing ability,
but again much older boats out point it (as probably expected given
it's 'cross nature' design).

And is it a speedboat? No, no way. It's good to have the motor to get
out of trouble (before the weather hits) quickly. But *in* the
heavier stuff, presumably you have the ballast in place, so a reduced
speed, and would be going much slower than that anyway given it's hull
design in rough sea.

The price is good, and the cabin is spacious in feel. I like that.

The rigging looks and feels *way* too light for my liking - however I
note of few reports of breakages - so I supose that's good. The whole
rudder assembly likewise seems too light in construction.

Overall I think the Mac retains it's - it's neither this, and it's
neither that - label, sorry.

It's what you make of it. If you want it to be a saiboat it's a pretty
fast and safe sailboat. If you want a motorboat it's a pretty fast and
safe motor boat. It's the best of both worlds. Everybody who doesn't
know anything complains about the rudders. They say they are too lightly
built. They are too dumb to remember they are slender because they also
are a power boat rudders that have to be able to go throught the water
way faster than a heavy keelboat rudder has to. They are tuffer than you
think since they hold up going twenty or more mph. The rigging is light
so it's easier to put the mast up and down. It's a trailerable boat
remember. You can't make the mast and wiring too big or it'll be too
heavy to put it up. It's designed to be light and strong and is plenty
strong for the sails you get with it.

--
Cheerio,
Ed Gordon