posted to rec.boats.building
mjpierce5 mjpierce5 is offline

Default plastic barrels and floating docks

On Apr 19, 10:40 am, max camirand wrote:
On Apr 19, 10:48 am, mark wrote:

I am going to build some floating docks but before I re-invent the
wheel I would like to get some opinions. They will be 16' long by 3'
wide and at either end I would put a plastic barrel under it, inside
the frame. The frame would be 2X8 rough sawn Juniper and the decking
would be 1 1/4" X 3 . First of all would this be stable or want to
roll, should I put a 3rd barrel in the center? If the barrels were in
a framework but free moving could they act as rollers to help when
pulling the docks out of the water. The beach is very gradual. I am
doing this on the cheap so I am not buying any floating dock hardware,
brackets, plastic floats etc...Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

In my opinion and experience, they will be unstable and want to roll.
They will almost certainly be more stable upside down than rightside
up. Most floating docks have one or more finger docks, which are the
narrow parts. If they're connected to each other perpendicularily,
this'll keep them from rolling. Putting a third barrel in the center
is only useful if you don't have enough floatation. It won't make it
any more stable. Probably the opposite. You don't have to buy
"floating dock hardware" to connect them together. Just get your local
metal shop to weld up some heavy hinges (2 per junction) with a
removable axis pin. Get everything hot dip galvanized.

-Maxime Camirand

To hook the sections of dock together you can use two sets of hot-
dipped galvanized eye bolts. Put two eye bolts on the ends of the two
docks you want to connect, with the set on one of the docks slightly
closer together than the other. Line up the eyes and run an
appropriate gauge and length of galvanized rod/threaded rod/pipe and
secure the ends with a pin/nut/cap- whatever works. On a three foot
wide dock, you would probably put the eye bolts about 2.5 feet apart.
This method of connecting docks is cheap, extremely strong and secure,
allows the dock sections hinge naturally with the movements of the
water, is easily taken apart, and provides for great lateral
stability. Oh, and did I mention cheap?

And no, I am not CEO of an eye bolt company

Michael Pierce