posted to alt.sailing.asa
Ed Gordon Ed Gordon is offline

Default Men are totally incompetent!

Bill wrote in
oups.com:

Here's the exact quote: Exodus 14:21 says, "And Moses stretched out
his hand over the sea; and the Lord caused the sea to go back by a
strong east wind all that night, and made the sea dry land, and the
waters were divided." KJV

I guess whoever wrote that book was no sailor.

Wilbur Hubbard-

Except the exact quote was written in Aramaic, not English so the
translator could have been wrong.

I know all about the Bible. Exodus wasn't written in Aramaic. It was
written in Hebrew. Moses was a Jew. The man didn't speak Aramaic, he
spook Hebrew. That's how the slang for Jews got started. Some people
call Jews "Hebes" short for Hebrew.

But that's interesting about the east wind. Sounds like it shoulda been
a west wind. I don't think translators were stupid enough to change east
to west. I agree it's a mistake. Probably Moses dictated it wrong or
maybe way back in his day when they said east wind maybe they meant wind
blowing towards the east?

--
Cheerio,
Ed Gordon