Lloyd Sumpter

Default Deep Cycle vs. Trolling Batteries

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:47:21 +0000, Larry W4CSC wrote:

A trolling battery is a deep cycle battery with built-in extra boat
dealer profit........like any part you put "boat" labels on.

Correct!

Buy a deep cycle battery from a BATTERY store and save the extra
markup....

Good idea! I get my batteries from Polar Batteries here in Vanc. They get
Trojans and put their own label on, they're cheaper than Canadian Tire.

Put 4 golf cart 6V batteries in series (255AH for $69 at Batteries
Plus) and run it on 24V if it's rated for 24V. Works great if you can
leave the batteries in the boat permanently.

Whoa! He's talking about a Minn Kota 30, here! First, it's 12V. And
second, it takes maybe 30A at full load. I use a Group 22NF battery ($49.95
at Canadian Tire) and it runs pretty much all afternoon.

I'd say a Group 24 deep cycle would be fine.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Near Cove" Walker Bay 8 c/w M-C 30 Endura

On 20 Aug 2003 00:50:01 -0700, (kcb559) wrote:

What is the difference between a Deep Cycle battery and a Trolling
battery? I'm buying a Minn Kota Endura 30 electric trolling motor and
can't decide on the battery. Even the salesman gives an unsure answer
as to the difference between the two. Which one do I buy???