Jeff Jeff is offline

Default battery purchase recommendation wanted

You had one set of batteries all explode and the next set of heavy
duty batteries (which should go 8-10 years) all die in 4 years (one
with a cracked case), and you don't think there might just be
something wrong with what you're doing?

I'm sure the Rolls guy wasn't interested at all because everyone
always claims they never abused the batteries ...

* Gogarty wrote, On 6/2/2007 11:14 AM:
The batteries were not abused. They were always fully charged going into
winter storage and started the engine instantly when first tried in the
Spring. They were also regularly watered. I have no idea why that one battery,
in a great big Blue Sea battery box, where it was not subject to shock loading
of any kind, cracked open. I have photos but can't post them to this group.
What really got me was that Rolls was so incurious. But like the one horse
shay, all three batteries died within weeks of one another. Most peculiar.

What abuse? On shore power we have a True Charge smart charger that seems to
work very well and at sea a high output alternator with suitable smart
regulator. I take my batteries seriously. A pair of 4Ds is after all a pretty
hefty bank.

I have had some very bad experience with batteries. The original batteries in
this boat were no-name 27s hooked to a really cheap ferro resonant stupid
charger. Early on I upgarred both the charger and the engine charging system
but not the batteries. The batteries went gradually bad. One day at the
beginning of the season (March 30) I was moving the boat from one slip to
another at idle speed and then decided to rev up to cruising speed. Bang!
Bang! Bang! All three batteries exploded. Steam explosions, not hydrogen
explosions. You want acid all through your boat?