posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry Larry is offline

Default VHF antenna

"Midlant" wrote in news:BbY7i.2598$NU1.710
@newsfe13.lga:

Thanks Larry. The boat in question is a 20ft center console. No top,
bimini or otherwise.
The existing antenna is the standard antenna I've seen on pleasure
boating since childhood. Fiberglass antenna. 6ft would be about right,
with the plastic quick release for lowering and raising.
John

The radio system on my Sea Rayder little 16' jetboat was an Icom M59 into
the Metz up forward just above the gunwale....about 2' off the water. I
could talk to boats I couldn't see over the visual horizon...at the radio
horizon.

Go for it. You don't need that big folddown monster. Mount the antenna
on the top of the console just behind the little windscreen, but not
against or near any other metal parts like window framing or other
electronics the RF may tear up, like your sonar or GPS. They work fine.
Metz also has a standard mounting kit that will mount the metz on a fold-
down mast screwed right into where your old antenna was screwed in. The
coax is inside of it. That gets it up a ways above the damned RF racket
the outboards are making....(d^

Larry
--
Warning - South Carolina's sales tax went up ANOTHER 1% today,
so that rich people with big houses could get reduced taxes.