Bryan Bryan is offline

Default America's Cup sail design

We use a spectra main and will probably go that route for a new jib. Dacron
is fine for most aplications but as you said it begins to make sense too use
laminates as the size goes up. Loads get to high for dacron unless you
build them bullet proof. Weight becomes and issue then.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have North sails on Escapade, but they're dacron cruising sails. Don't
know that I would want the mylar ones if they were given to me.

Dacron is good. Exposed mylar is bad. For seasonal cruising Dacron
would be my first choice on most boats. OTOH, I have gotten very good
results from cruising laminates with both Pentax and Spectra. As
sails get bigger and the loads and sea time on them go up laminates
start to make sense.

-- Tom.