John H. John H. is offline

Default We are now all Homeland Secuirty Threats

On 31 May 2007 15:31:54 -0700, Chuck Gould
wrote:

On May 30, 7:36?pm, animal05 wrote:
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/t...cle.aspx?story...

For thousands of years, governments have proclaimed "give us more
power, surrender some of your goods and/or liberties, and in return we
promise to protect you from enemies both foreign and domestic"
It's been a theme song for people trying to establish fascist,
oppressive, totalitarianist regimes since Alexander marched on Persia.

One of these days more people will wake up and realize that what we
mostly need protection from *is* the darn government.

They'll put a "tracking chip" in my boat over my dead body.

The argument "If you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to
fear" just doesn't wash with me. I "fear" a society in which we all
become property of the state. The logical step beyond monitoring where
we come and go and when is then to begin dictating when and where we
*can* come and go. The step beyond that is the creation of records
detailing comings and goings that may *never* have occured-- framing a
political opponent for a crime he or she did not commit isn't exactly
an original idea.

No tracking chip in my boat.....(although they may already have chips
in every boat, home, vehicle, etc in the country)...at least not
knowingly or voluntarily. I'd rather have 100 terrorists loose in the
country (as horrible as that would absolutely be) than give up a
single shred of constitutionally guaranteed freedom in exchange for a
promise to protect us from the bad guys.

Chuck, if chips are put in every boat, thousands of folks will be hired to
monitor them. The size of the government will increase by leaps and bounds.
Taxes will be raised tremendously. I would think any self-respecting
liberal would love the idea!