JimH JimH is offline

Default Twin engine docking

"D.Duck" wrote in message

"John H." wrote in message
On Wed, 30 May 2007 18:20:52 -0400, "JimH" wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
I am new to boating and would like to get some opinions on docking and
how
it "should" be done. I have a Wellcraft 270 Coastal with twin Evinrude
200's.

-When docking (perpendicular) should I be steering the boat when
maneuvering or using the engines to spin the boat 90 degrees? I'm
having a
hard time with spinning it and keeping it where it needs to be. ARG!!!
So far every time I've tried to spin it I've had to abandon that effort
and steer it in. It works but I don't want to get accustom to doing
that
if it's actually easier to use the engines.

ANY helpful advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Think in terms of a bicycle handlebar.........turn left and your left
hand
(port engine controls) pulls down (reverse) or towards you on the
handlebar,
right hand (starboard engine) up (forward) or away from you......turn
right
and your left hand pushes up (forward on the port engine) and your right
hand down (reverse on the starboard engine)..........all the time with
both
engines in idle and the wheel in the forward (straight ahead position)
and
not touching the wheel.

When I would stern in with our larger boat (with twins) I would slowly go
past the slip (on the starboard side) while centering the wheel and
engines
at idle, put port in reverse while bumping starboard in and out of
forward
or reverse as I needed to adjust my position. When finalizing the
approach
and parallel to the slip I would nudge both engines in and then out of
forward to stop the boats reverse progress.

This worked for me.
This worked for me

Not to be picky, but if you're going at any speed on your bicycle and
pull
the left handlebar towards you, you will turn right.

Push left, go left. Push right, go right. Just the opposite of a
tricycle.

Huh?

John Herring is a boatless bitter old man who obviously has no experience
with twin engines or bicycles. It is best to ignore him.