thunder

Default ( OT ) Abolish the terror tax

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 20:19:18 -0400, John H wrote:

When driving through France, one can see a nuclear power plant around
every curve, it seems. France has not, to my knowledge, had a nuclear
incident. Why do we not use more nuclear power? Is it politics?

Several reasons, the first being nuclear power is expensive power.
Reactors are expensive to build, maintain, and decommission. Secondly, we
still do not have an adequate solution to the nuclear wastes produced.
Much of it is stored on site, clearly a temporary solution when the wastes
will be radioactive for thousands of years. Also, I believe I read
somewhere that uranium supplies are running short.

Some interesting (and depressing) reading on the energy situation can be
found at:

http://dieoff.com/