JamesgangNC

Default replace head on a mercruiser 350 engine

The special head gasket is the only difference if you are just replacing
the head gasket. The exhaust manifold gaskets have slots instead of holes
where the bolts go but that is just to make them easier to install, regular
exhaust manifold gaskets work fine.

A lot of the marine 350 head's have the sodium filled exhaust valves. You
can tell by removing an exhaust valve, the sodium filled ones have thicker
stems that taper down where the valve spring keepers go on. You might check
your local boat shops for a used one if you need one as they replace a lot
of engines that the owner forgot to winterize.

"Han" wrote in message
om...
Hi, I need to replace the head gasket of the engine in my boat and I
need some help from you experience folks. I have done it on a truck
engine (same chevy 350 engine) and it was painless. I took the heads
out and bring them to the engine shop to resurface the head. They
said the head was cracked and I pay a little extra to exchange for a
good one. I install the exchanged heads and everything went pretty
smooth.

I have no experience with marine engine. I know I need to use marine
stainless head gasket. Other than that, are they the same? If I have
to exchange the head, will an automotive one work the same? Should I
insist a "marine" head if they must exchange them? Is there such
thing as "marine" head?

While I'm at it, is there anything else I should replace?

Thanks in advance,