Camilo

Default Bayliner 185

wrote in message
Hi folks,

My wife and I went around looking at boats today. Was wonder what ya
all feel about the Bayliner 185 ? We were quoted a price $15000. With
taxes, ppep, freight, etc, the total is $16057.50. This is for the
Bayliner 185 w/ bikini top and coast guard package. Does this price
sound reasonable?

For the Bayliner 175 w/ bikini top and coast guard package the price
is $12,000. With taxes, ppep, freight, etc, the total is $12870.00.

Do you think the Bayliner 185 is worth $3217.50 more than the Bayliner
175?

This is our first boat purchase. We would appreciate your input.

Thanks,
JC

A few comments, JC, after having read some of the replies so far.

First, it's Bimini, not Bikini top 8-). I like both though.

Next: take any Bayliner bashing you read on this board for a grain of salt.
Although I've never owned one, I've spent a lot of time on Bayliners - both
small lake type runabouts and larger "cabin cruiser" type boats. They are
neither the best nor most expensive boat in the world. The "Yugo"
comparison may or may not be accurate. I prefer to say they are a Chevy or
Ford in comparison to another boat's Lexus or Benz. Absolutely nothing
wrong with them, considering the intended use and especially affordability.
They are also not the worst boat in the world (which the Yugo comment
implies).. The folks I know who own them love them and have really had a
lot of fun with them. This is not to say they might better enjoy the higher
end brands - but again, compare it to the nicely equipped Chevy vs. the
Lexus. Either or both can give you everything you need. Whatever you can
afford, you'll use and enjoy, and may or may NOT aspire to something higher
end. My mantra is "Whatever gets you on the water!"

People who point out to you that Bayliners are not the best quality but a
good value at the price and very servicable boats are the ones who you
should listen to. They can help you to figure out what is and is worth
spending money on and what you can afford or must afford.. The ones who
make broad statements about "all Bayliners being crap" or some such thing
are as worth listening to as anyone who makes such broad statements about
ANYthing, if you know what I mean. They really need to get a life.

Second, regarding the used vs. new idea. This is definitely something to
think about. I've always been a used boat buyer because (1) I can't (or
more accurately - won't) spend the money it would take to get the boat I
need new. (2) I actually like the search for "the" used boat and (3) don't
really mind tinkering. There's a lot to think about in that if you're new
to boating, your might either just not get into it, or more likely, have
changing needs within a couple of years. Financially, the used route may
make more sense, if the stars alighn properly. It's similar to the game of
used vs. new cars.

But, with a used boat, it really does take some serious hunting to find a
suitable boat. That said, there are definitely a LOT of super excellent,
hardly used, like new boats out there - especially in the "starter boat"
categories. But there are also a lot of hidden problems out there. You
have to be into the game of knowing the difference and finding it. Among
the really used, but still good deals for a cheap price, there's a lot of
those too, but you have to enjoy tinkering to get them into the shape you
need them, and not be ashamed of running a boat that is a good deal rather
than a good looker.

This time of year, you should think about time though. If you have the
bucks, don't mind spending it, and don't want to spend a good portion of
this season hunting for a good used boat, look at new ones with a good
conscience. It is the quicker way to get on the water, and with good dealer
support, is often or even usually the most care free.

Regarding this: new boats can have their problems and it can be said that
the "right" used boat (broken in, well cared for, but little used) might
actually have more bugs worked out, and therefore have less initital
problems. But a new boat bought from a supportive dealer will mitigate that
almost completely.

Finally, it sounded from your post like you were just starting the journey.
I strongly advise you to look at a LOT of boats and dealers - at least take
a couple of weeks - to find out what the options are in your price range,
especially in terms of the dealer you'd be dealing with for future support.
Also, since you asked the question about whether the price you found is a
good deal - checking out many options is the ONLY way to figure that out for
your self - in your community - at this time of year. Comments people make
on this group are probably irrelevant because they aren't where you are, may
or may not have bought a boat this time of year.

My opinion is that in buying a new boat, the factors are (1) what features
you think you need (2) how much boat you can afford and (3) your level of
comfort with the dealer and (4) how fast you want to get it all done. All
very important factors, but don't neglect #3, maybe even at the expense of
not getting the absolute best deal. Believe me, saving $1000 on a $15000
deal get's VERY trivial if you struggle for weeks at a time getting the
thing back on the water in the middle of the summer, if the dealer isn't
doing whatever he can to help.

--
Cam