CLARK NICHOLSON CLARK NICHOLSON is offline

Default roasting green coffee beans

wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
* wrote, On 5/25/2007 3:19 PM:
"CLARK NICHOLSON" wrote in message
wrote in message
Some sailors prefer to carry green coffee beans on board and roast
them as need it.
I wonder what is the best method to roast the beans on a sailboat?

Once in the Marquesas Islands, a local used a cast iron skillet and
just stirred the home grown beans around until he achieved his desired
color. I guess it could be that simple.
Enjoy,
Clark

I have hear of that, some English sailor using a cast iron skillet.
I have one and maybe it would be a good starter for me to learn while at
anchor.

Lots of smoke. I mean, *lots* of smoke. As in, I roast in my basement
with the benefit of a kitchen style exhaust hood feeding a second exhaust
fan. That's enough to prevent the smoke detector from going off.
Another problem is that the heat has to get up over 400 degrees for 5
minutes or more - this tends to scorch the pans, so don't use the wife's
favorites, and I wouldn't use teflon.

Use an outdoor BBQ with a whirlypop. As I mentioned, the stainless dog
bowl held with visegrips and heated with a heatgun is one way to go. Its
also possible to use certain models hot air popcorn poppers. If these
sound interesting, I can track down the links.

At home, If I can find one dedicated coffee roaster I'll probally buy
it.
In the meantime I may experiment with our convection owen.

doesn't work.

Its nice to hear some hands on experience.
At the end of the day if I like it I may go for broke and buy a Stainless
Steel Stovetop Popper.
I am a little against that because space is at a premium on a sailboat.

Is the smoke a pleasant aromatic or of something burning?