posted to rec.boats.paddle
Todd Bradley Todd Bradley is offline

Default why does the NPS want my social security number?

Some friends and I drew a permit to raft the Lodore section of the Green
River this summer. I just got a call from our trip leader, who told me
the National Park Service is requiring that he submit a form to them
that has the names of all the party members INCLUDING the last four
digits of their social security numbers.

This is the first time anyone has ever asked for part of my SSN for a
river trip. And I definitely am not planning to take my social security
card to the put-in with me. Anyone have any idea what the NPS is
thinking? I assume the reason they're asking for this information is so
the party leader doesn't just make up a bunch of bogus names for the
form, but since when was a SSN required to use a national park?

Todd.