Default America's Cup sail design

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ya, I saw a lot of multiple-posts in the past few days. Actually,
though, I
was referring to the marketing hype of North Sails 3DL process. I
had no
idea.

It may not be all marketing. In the nasty fight over the airframe
patent North claimed that their sails were different because the
yarns
were continuous (http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT5097784). So
they might be worried about infringing on
http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT4593639
when the sails are re-cut. Be that as it may, North makes very, very
good sails and I think you are right about the low stretch making the
square tops workable.

-- Tom.

I have North sails on Escapade, but they're dacron cruising sails.
Don't know that I would want the mylar ones if they were given to me.

Smart thinking. Dacron sails for cruising is the correct choice all
things considered. Nothing looks stupider than a cruising boat with
expensive, prone to failure, high maintenance racing sails.

The people who attempt to show how cool they are by using hi-tech racing
sails on a cruising boat are the same people who put those spinning
hubcaps on their KIAs. No class.
Fewer brains.

Wilbur Hubbard