posted to rec.boats.building
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default bolt metal type in aluminum mast

CB wrote:
I need to tap out a 1/4" hole in my mast to 5/16" 18 (no threads
in there right now) and put a machine screw in there.

I have some options in terms of metal types and there have been a
number of discussions about corrosion and so on with SS in contact
with aluminum and how really useless the isolating compounds are in
a sal****er environment etc etc

So what's the metal of choice? I'm seeing brass, SS, silicon
bronze, zinc plated steel.. what's optimal for the aluminum
(non-)interaction?

Don't even consider brass if you want any strength. It has none and
is even worse in a salt water environment as it will lose the zinc
that is compounded with copper to make brass.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...