posted to rec.boats.building
Jim Conlin Jim Conlin is offline

Default bolt metal type in aluminum mast

Use stainless, preferably 316 and a teflon anti-seize goo.

"CB" wrote in message
ups.com...

I need to tap out a 1/4" hole in my mast to 5/16" 18 (no threads in
there right now) and put a machine screw in there.

I have some options in terms of metal types and there have been a
number of discussions about corrosion and so on with SS in contact
with aluminum and how really useless the isolating compounds are in a
sal****er environment etc etc

So what's the metal of choice? I'm seeing brass, SS, silicon bronze,
zinc plated steel.. what's optimal for the aluminum (non-)interaction?
These other discussions don't have a consistent conclusion. (And no
rivets, this is a small job, I really do need the machine screw).

This is a freshwater boat and has been for a long time. However I
wouldn't rule it out of taking it down the east coast one day.

Thanks for any comments,

-CB