William G. Andersen

Default Marine radio

All the radios, fixed mount and handheld, are about the same when comparing
features in price ranges, and they all have weather radio.
The cheapest radios may not monitor weather radio for emergency broadcasts -
a nice feature.
It's nice to have a radio to call for help if you need it. It's nice to be
there if you hear someon else call for help. It's nice to know what's going
on around you, by monitoring several channels.
Any place you buy a radio should be able to refer you to some one to install
it. Installation is pretty easy: plan ahead where you want the radio, where
you will get power for it, and where you can mount the antenna and get the
antenna cable to the radio. It's just making the first hole that hurts.
Most people get an 8' antenna with a ratchet type mount that is very easy to
lay down when not in use.

"Mitchell Gossman" wrote in message
om...
I own a new 21 foot boat, and will probably get a marine radio since
some of the lakes in Minnesota are big enough, and a few times a year
I'd like to tour near-shore Lake Superior and Michigan, e.g. Apostle
Islands and general lakeshore.

Questions:

1) What brand radio is a reasonable feature/price ratio? A personal
communication from a rec.boat-er recommends Standard Horizon.
2) Do they pretty much all have weather radio?
3) What's the consensus on handhelds? Ones I have looked at do have 1
& 5 Watt switches so it seems transmitting power is good.
4) What other uses are there when there's no emergency and you will
seldom if ever need to talk to a bridge operator or use ship-to-ship
or marine telephone?
5) Should I be able to find someone to install it for me in the
Minneapolis/St. Paul area? I'm squeamish about cutting holes.
6) Is there an antenna that is easily removed or bent down to get it
out of the way of the cover?

Mitch