posted to rec.boats.building
Paul Oman Paul Oman is offline

Default plastic barrels and floating docks

wrote:

On Apr 19, 10:48 am, mark wrote:

I am going to build some floating docks but before I re-invent the
wheel I would like to get some opinions. They will be 16' long by 3'
wide and at either end I would put a plastic barrel under it, inside
the frame. The frame would be 2X8 rough sawn Juniper and the decking
would be 1 1/4" X 3 . First of all would this be stable or want to
roll, should I put a 3rd barrel in the center? If the barrels were in
a framework but free moving could they act as rollers to help when
pulling the docks out of the water. The beach is very gradual. I am
doing this on the cheap so I am not buying any floating dock hardware,
brackets, plastic floats etc...Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

I had a wooden dock about 7 ft by 9 ft - held up with 6 barrels - still too tippy for my likes - I pulled the barrels and added legs....

you might use more barrels and 1/2 fill them with water for ballast!

paul