John H

Default Tying docklines to piling - best way , esp. with a very long line

On 14 Jun 2004 10:30:00 -0700, (Mitchell Gossman) wrote:

I'm a boating newbie. When tying docklines to a pier with pilings,
what's the best way when you have a significant excess length to the
line, i.e. without having to use the end? I've used clove hitch esp.
if temporary and non-critical, two half-hitches, bowline, and others,
but they all require running the bitter end through and through,
pulling the excess length through. What's a secure knot in order to
avoid this problem? I wouldn't mind a general discussion of favorite
knots to secure to a piling, too, even if it involves using the end!

Mitch

I use this one:

http://www.troop7.org/Knots/Clove.html

John H