posted to rec.boats.electronics
WBH WBH is offline

Default Zinc Fish Take II, what is acceptable measured current ?

"b393capt" wrote in message
ups.com...
| Chuck,
|
| The copper wire I was referring to is entirely unrelated to the
| fish. What I was doing is comparing the reading I would get from
| connecting the zinc fish to boat ground vs. connecting a bare (at the
| tip) copper wire in the water to boat ground. (in both cases with my
| meter inbetween measuring current). My expectation is that by looking
| at a change in voltage and current, I could learn something about
| what's going on. E.g. while I do measure a current with the fish,
| maybe the fish is inducing it. Now that I have the readings ... don't
| know how to interpret.
|
| My keel is iron and ideally has a succesful barrier coat of paint
| between it and the salt water, as I know the keel is connected to my
| boats grounding system (lightening protection). I also have a rudder
| that I don't believe is tied into ground, but I am not sure. So is two
| or three points under my boat creating a battery ... is the only two
| points between the prop and my fish ?
|
| Dan

Hi,
For lightning protection, your keel should be connected to the mast, not to
the boat's ground.
Disconnect the keel from ground and measure again. Also, there are 2 schools
of thought about bonding all bronze thru-hull fittings. Recommended reading:
Nigel Calder.
Do you have a saildrive or a shaft?
Cheers,
Wout