Bob D.

Default electric marine hot water heaters

Well,

Finally sold the old boat, and have now devoted my spare time to preparing
my new project boat for launch into the remainder of the Ohio summer.

As my first order of business, I hooked in shore power and started up systems.
Refrigerator? Check. Stove? Check. Outlets? Check.

I then turned on the water pressure and ran the antifreeze out of the
lines. I then started filling the tank (while still running the
faucets). Once the tank was filled. I turned on the hot water tank,
which immediately tripped the main breaker. I noticed the polarity
indicator, flashed before tripping the main. Tried several times with all
other systems powered off. Same results.

Any ideas? Never having a hot water system, am I overlooking something
obvious? Does this system need to be bled or reset at the water heater?
Could it be the polarity of the power, even though everything else was
working, and the polarity light does not flash until the tank is turned
on?

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Bob Dimond