White Furby

Default Volvo 4.3 fuel pump woes

I have a 1996 Glastron with a Volvo 4.3GS SX engine and I finally got
it out of storage this year and tried to get it to start. Every year
it seems to be a bear to get this thing cranked after it has been
winterized.

I read some other posts that indicate that the electric fuel pump on
these engines is a design flaw and that the pump won't start pumping
until the engine is running and of course the engine won't run without
gas. Do others agree that there is a basic design flaw here?

This year I'm pretty sure that the pump has gone out again. The first
time was in 2000 and now it looks like it's the culprit again. I have
resorted to putting a little gas down in the carb and then trying to
get the thing to start which has worked fairly well in the past. After
doing this yesterday, I removed the fuel line going to the carb and
tried starting again and I am not seeing any fuel flow at all.

Should these things be failing every four years?

Is there a good place online to obtain this fuel pump?