Capt John Capt John is offline

Default Windlass issue

On May 14, 10:39 am, "RG" wrote:
"King5899" wrote in message

ups.com...

I purchased a used boat last fall and it came with a Lofrans Marlin
Windlass. While out yesterday, I dropped anchor and when it came time
to retrieve it, the windlass would not pull up the rope. It appeared
to turn, but would not actually pull the rope. I pulled it up by hand,
and when it hit the chain part it pulled it in without a problem. I
verified that the windlass is Rope/Chain compatible.

Is there something I am missing, or is something wrong with the unit?

I am new to using a windlass so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
MJK

Not sure about the Marlin model, but on my Lofrans Progress model there is a
spring-loaded metal finger that presses the line against the gypsy for
traction. Sometimes it needs to be sprayed with a lubricant to prevent it
from binding up and not doing its job.

I had the same problem with a winch made by another manufacturer, a
little WD-40 did the trick.

John