posted to rec.boats.electronics
Al Thomason Al Thomason is offline

Default LF 12 volt LCD monitor 15 to 17 inch

Surplus HP F1064A DC-DC converts. They were designed for their 12v
Lap Tops to run off of car "12v" so have a wide range of input
voltages supported. They supply I think around 50 watts.

Shows up on Ebay every once and a while for under $10

-al-

On 11 May 2007 16:45:55 -0700, b393capt
wrote:

On May 11, 11:11 am, PR wrote:
Would anyone happen to know of a supplier of 12 volt LCD's hopefully in
Canada? Don't need marine spec as such just 12 volt.

Thanks...

Your actually better off getting something that needs 14.6v or higher
and then getting a DC-DC converter to step up the voltage. These
converters will deliver 14.6 or higher (mine is 18v) no matter the
voltage is between 11v or 14.6v. Also, all the decent sized screens
require 18v or highter.

I ended up going to PC-Richards Appliance Giant (a northeast provider)
to buy my monitor, as the Best Buy and Circuit City products didn't
have bricks, but rather took AC voltage directly into their units.

Beware, some of these DC-DC devices can be damaged when the voltage
falls below 10v, so you should have them shut off when starting the
engine or using the windlass.

b393capt