posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
krj krj is offline

Default What did these sailors do wrong?

Larry wrote:
Don W wrote in news:YZK0i.1163
:

I say government should stay out of peoples lives
unless there is a compelling reason not to. I'm
really opposed to the idea that government should
become our mommies and save us from ourselves.

Everyone has presented exceptional examples of just wonderful 70-year-
old, physically fit sailors they know, some famous, some not. This is
great. If I were advocating licensing of airplane pilots, and there were
no licensing or testing or physical exams of airplane pilots, everyone
would be pointing out Chuck Yeagar and a host of airplane pilot heros,
for the same reasons....they don't need to be examined, obviously.

Those are NOT the people walking the docks to play captain where I have
been, or whom I have met. THESE are the people who need to be told when
enough is enough, just like airplane pilots are told, now. These people
walking the docks are sure they can handle any situation. Just ask them
or point out to them that they are walking a little slower than they were
10 years ago, or have trouble getting aboard, or are a little out of
breath from the walk from the parking lot, and you'll be told how
wonderful shape they are in. In their minds, just like everyone on this
newsgroup who have gotten all excited and mad at me, they are 27 and
strong as an ox....just with white hair...well, some white hair.

But, with increasing frequency lately, we find them offshore, in heavy
weather and in trouble...beaten and exhausted to the point a rescue
swimmer must be deployed to get them into the helo harness...endangering
the lives of the Coasties and everyone else who comes near the abandoned
vessel left behind.

Their inflated egos have gotten them in trouble and endangered others.
I'm not concerned with themselves. It's the "others" that continues to
bother me.

At what point does government impose the same requirements on boaters it
requires, rightfully so, of all other modes of transportation to protect
the "others", passengers, other boaters, commercial traffic and those
boys in the helos?

Larry

Almost everyone driving on our interstates and roads has a license yet
there are hundreds of people killed every day in auto accidents.
Licensing is not the ultimate answer. Common sense and good judgment is
what is needed. At any age!