posted to rec.boats.electronics
Gordon Wedman Gordon Wedman is offline

Default transceiver- and navtex-antenna too close to one another

"Len" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am using an insulated backstay.
I used to feed the navtex-receiver with it.
Now I connected it to my ssb transceiver and I am looking for an
alternative antenna for the navtex.

I am told not to place the navtex antenna too close to the ssb antenna
cause the tx-power could destroy the navtex receiver.
I am now thinking about a switch that gives power a) to the ssb OR b)
to the navtex so there will be no possibility to send with the navtex
receiving.

My question: I am assuming the navtex will suffer no damage from the
radiated energy when the 12v-power to the navtex is off. Am I right?

TIA and fair winds,
Len.

As Chuck says, I don't think it makes any difference whether the unit is ON
or OFF. The front end of the receiver is still going to get whatever comes
down the antenna lead. Your best bet would be to disconnect the Navtex
antenna when you want to use the SSB. I imagine you could use a fairly
simple switch for this purpose.
Having said that I doubt you would pick up enough radiated energy to damage
the Navtex if it's antenna is a couple of feet away. If you had a bare wire
whip and it touched the backstay that would be another matter...