Short Wave Sportfishing Short Wave Sportfishing is offline

Default build my own dock with 55 gallon barrels

On 11 May 2007 06:31:03 -0700, wrote:

I have about 20 - 55 gallon barrels that I will seal up good and I
want to make a dock for a pond. I want a square dock that will sit
out in the middle of the pond. I would like to find directions on how
to build a dock over these drums and what would be a good way to have
a solid built dock. Any help would be appreciated.

You could float a freakin' ship with 20 55 gallon barrels.

Don mentioned a couple of the problems like they tend to float high
without some counter weight. One problem you may have is that some
DEP/DEM agencies don't allow steel drums as floats for a variety of
reasons. You lake assotiation might not allow them. And if they do
allow them to be used, some require the the tops be cut off, the
barrels washed and cleaned (with all the appropriate hazardous
materials handling precautions) which can make it expensive. You need
to check on that because the fines can be hefty.

Securing them to a dock structure is pretty easy - you can use strips
of steel and make bands of just enlose them in place with wood. There
are any number of ways to do it - just requires a little back yard
mechanicin'