posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
[email protected] tsmwebb@gmail.com is offline

Default What did these sailors do wrong?

At what point does government impose the same requirements on boaters it
requires, rightfully so, of all other modes of transportation to protect
the "others", passengers, other boaters, commercial traffic and those
boys in the helos?

When the cost is worth the benefit. Also, governments don't license
all modes of transportation. Bicycles are popular and dangerous and
rarely licensed. Ultra-light planes, roller skates, scooters, swim
fins, pogo sticks, skis, Segways, motorized shopping carts, high
powered propeller beanies, horses, donkeys, really big prehistoric
carnivorous ducks and many, many more modes of transport may be
operated unlicensed in most countries. I'm not against licensing as
such. I have two boating licenses, one of which is commercial. But,
unless you are willing to make the licensing bar very high and require
COI's for all vessels I don't think you will prevent many accidents
offshore. The costs of such a program would be great and the loss of
freedom real and the benefits negligible. I think the argument for
licensing for very fast boats used in populated areas is much easer to
make than the one for offshore boaters.

-- Tom.