John H

Default PING--Gene Kearns...GPS signal in your area

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 17:01:00 -0400, "Gene Kearns" wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 07:19:47 -0400, John H
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 22:26:21 -0400, "NOYB" wrote:

Gene - read this!

Too bad you blocked my posts. You might find this useful:

To explain.....

After realizing that trying to reason out some self control and self
policing with those proliferating OT drivel was totally useless, I
first blocked posts that were identified as off topic by being
identified as so. Such as:

Subject: OT: The other political party sucks.

That didn't do the trick, because some people *never* identify their
OT as OT..... (some always do.)

I then blocked posts referring to political parties, politician's
names, and other items I felt were pretty indicative of off topic
posting. That, too, let a lot of chaff through.

Finally, as a method of last resort, I resorted to blocking posters
that got through the other filters, but had a disproportionately high
signal to noise ratio.

I blocked some posters that freely admitted that they came here only
to argue off-topic points of view and had no interest in discussing
boating in rec.boats. Some even went so far as to recommend venues
other than rec.boats to discuss boating... apparently, their wish was
to make this solely a battleground between extremists of differing
views.

I blocked other people that might occasionally contribute something of
value... even great value, but it just wasn't worth wading through the
enormous piles of manure to find the one gem that might be in there.

Since I blocked a few words, a few subjects, a few threads, and a few
posters, my rec.boats experience has been much more enjoyable..... and
certainly... much more ON topic....

I highly recommend filters.

I think you're right. I will give it them a shot also. I think it will be good
for my serenity not to see some of the bull**** that shows up here. Thanks.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!