posted to alt.sailing.asa
katy katy is offline

Default Hey How about something sailing related

Scotty wrote:
That's nice, Bill. Speaking of sailing, last weekend we
watched 'The Guardian' and 'Master & Commander'. Then later
I read 'The Old Man & The Sea'. A very nautical w/e.

SBV

"Bill" wrote in message
ups.com...

So I realize I have posted more than a response or two to

comments

that are non-sailing related but there has not been much

sailing stuff

posted to discuss so i thought I would throw in some

stuff.

As some of you may know I am new to sailing. I am also

building an

outrigger sailing canoe. So far everything has been a lot

of fun but

finding people to go sailing with to help teach me has

been a little

difficult, until this week. I have been learning from a

relative of

mine who lives or rather lived on a sailboat. The problem

is that he

resides with his wife and two teenage sons, none of which

are

particularly fond of sailing. So the dingy has been my

classroom.

I'm not complaining, there is a lot to be learned from

dinghy sailing

so I have been doing a lot of that. Now for the sad news.

my

relative sold his 44' sailboat and boat a motor trawler

for the

space. No future hopes of sailing the big boat for me.

But, I

recently found out that a guy I work with is in the

sailing club at UC

Irvine and has several friends/relatives with boats. He

is a very

experienced sailor and, of course, is always looking for

an excuse to

get out on the water. After speaking a while he really

wants to go

out on the weekends and use some of the boats he has

access to and

teach me a thing or two about sailing. I also found out

that my Dad's

colleuge at work with a racing/cruiser sailboat just moved

it two

slips away from my relative that I have been sailing with.

I have

been trying to get to talk to him about going out a few

times because

it would seem that he is looking for a crew member so that

he can push

the speed of his boat a bit but doesn't want to pay or

really compete,

just have fun. So I am going out there this weekend to

try and get

more people lined up for sailing. If any of you are in

the Orange

county or L.A. County area and want someone to teach about

sailing in

return for a free crew member or maybe a case of beer now

and then let

me know.

That's my sailing news and I am sure you will all start to

rip me

apart for something but at least it is related and we can

get back to

talking about sailing.

Bill

What? You didn't want to go out in that? They've still got the CG
searching for the sailboat with 4 crew that launched an EPIRB...the
family thinks they just tan far out but why then would they have
launched the EPIRB? They still have small craft advisories up...regular
4-5 footers, which isn't too worrisome but they say there's been a lot
of roguey type that all of a sudden crop up twice as big in the mddile
of them...such a weird storm pattern...a storm that turns sub-tropical,
moves south, and then turns into a depression...we were out to Fort
Montoe and it was blowing so hard you could abrely walk against the wind
on the beach...there were no boats out at Old Port Comfort Marina
atall...today though, there's a bunch sailing on the James right in
front of the bridge....