[email protected] PhantMan@nospam.invalid is offline

Default Improved warranty for outboards

Chuck Gould wrote:
Honda Marine announces that a five year warranty previously available
on some Honda outboards is now offered with the entire product line.
Probably good news for outboard owners, other companies may improve
warranty coverage to remain comepetitive.

I have no recent experience with other companies' warranties. But with
Honda, I'd say their coverage (and quality control) could definitely
use some improvement. Example: My new (in May '05) 20hp outboard, for
which I paid $2750, has been in the shop far more than on the water.
My maintenance/repair bills total $1,115 so far (that's 40% of what I
paid for the motor). The warranty has covered nothing so far. Maybe my
motor just has a case of the bad MoJo.... but needless to say, I'm not
a "happy" Honda customer (obviously, JD Powers didn't ask customers
like me). It ran ok yesterday though. and today I think it would run
if I gave it a try.... but I wouldn't count on it.

Rick