Howard Howard is offline

Default self steering for the mid sized vessel

Ocean Voyager - Annual Handbook of Offshore Sailing billing itself as
"an annual special issue of Ocean Navigator" just did an article on wind
vanes titled "Steering by the Wind."

I suggest you get this issue if at all possible. This article reviews
the general merits of each type of vane with special regard to vessel
size. I think you will find several that fit your needs nicely. I have
a 33-foot boat equipped with a home-built axillary rudder/trim tab type
unit that works very well, except when backing.

Wind vanes do work when motoring as long as you have some relative wind.
In a calm or with no apparent wind they are useless.

Names to research would include:
Monitor
Aries
Sailomat
Cape Horn
Windpilot
Auto-Helm
Scanmar
Hydrovane

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Shaun Van Poecke wrote:

Im looking for a wind vane type self steering unit for a thunderbird

26 with
a view to using it for coastal cruising on the east coast of australia.

Fleming.

Kevin Fleming, an Aussie who designed it while in San Diego, is back in
OZ someplace.

Should be able to help you.

Lew