the_bmac the_bmac is offline

Default cruising the canals of europe

the_bmac wrote:
Don W wrote:
the_bmac wrote:
Don W wrote:

Why allow yourself to be insulted en Francais by the French, when
the English are mostly polite and friendly? And if they aren't, you
can at least understand their insults '-)

my experience in France was that it was mostly loud Americans who
used the "maybe if I speak English really loudly he'll understand"
method of communicating with the French -who not surprisingly speak
French- were the ones getting insulted

(Shrug) Maybe. I have had good experiences in French territories
(F.P. & Martinique).

However, I've heard second hand stories about the rudeness of the
French waiters to _all_ customers, and not just the Americans and
Brits. I have not experienced this myself. Perhaps someone who has
been to Paris recently would care to comment.

Well if all you are going to judge by is Paris, then you do need to
understand the mindset of many Parisians. Unlike New Yorkers, Londoners
-or God help them, Torontoids- who _think_ they're living in the centre
of the known universe, Parisians _know_ they are living in the centre of
the known universe. Parisians refer to all living outside of "L'île de
France" as "provincials", quaint rustic bumpkins who are not to be taken
seriously. Americans are frequently regarded as crass, bourgeois,
hobbled by puritanical mores and completely devoid of any appreciation
for art, culture and most particularly food. Perhaps your hearsay
stories about French waiters come from fellow Americans who are
accustomed to treating wait-staff like second class citizens. Waiter is
a respected occupation in France. They know their business and expect
their customers to know about food, etiquette etc. because that is the
societal norm in France.

and as for the British! It is a well-known fact among the French that the British kill their meat
twice when preparing for a meal. Once when the animal is slaughtered and once again when the British
chef performs the "magique" dans la cuisine. All French waiters are taught to recognize the
ale-swilling louts upon arrival in the resto and to give them the service they deserve.