Joe Joe is offline

Default cruising the canals of europe

On May 3, 10:41 am, the_bmac wrote:
Don W wrote:
the_bmac wrote:
Don W wrote:

Why allow yourself to be insulted en Francais by theFrench, when the
English are mostly polite and friendly? And if they aren't, you can
at least understand their insults '-)

my experience in France was that it was mostly loudAmericanswho used
the "maybe if I speak English really loudly he'll understand" method
of communicating with theFrench-who not surprisingly speakFrench-
were the ones getting insulted

(Shrug) Maybe. I have had good experiences inFrenchterritories (F.P.
& Martinique).

However, I've heard second handstoriesabout the rudeness of theFrench
waitersto _all_ customers, and not just theAmericansand Brits. I
have not experienced this myself. Perhapssomeone who has been to Paris
recently would care to comment.

Well if all you are going to judge by is Paris, then you do need to understand the mindset of many
Parisians. Unlike New Yorkers, Londoners -or God help them, Torontoids- who _think_ they're living in
the centre of the known universe, Parisians _know_ they are living in the centre of the known
universe. Parisians refer to all living outside of "L'île de France" as "provincials", quaint rustic
bumpkins who are not to be taken seriously. Americansare frequently regarded as crass, bourgeois,
hobbled by puritanical mores and completely devoid of any appreciation for art, culture and most
particularly food. PerhapsyourhearsaystoriesaboutFrenchwaiterscomefro mfellowAmericanswho
are accustomed to treating wait-staff like second class citizens. Waiter is a respected occupation in
France. They know their business and expect their customers to know about food, etiquette etc.
because that is the societal norm in France.- Hide quoted text -

Yelp... they are uppty snobs for sure and it's a game they play in a
effort to feel important, sorta like the McDonalds cashier with an
attitude problem.

However as BigMac pointed out, throw a few local phrases at them,
accept the fact that they call the shots, and you can get the sub-
standard level of service the locals are willing to endure. If you go
in shouting "Garson" expect to be ignored.

Why anyone wants to spend anytime in a garbage laiden **** hole like
Parie is beyond me. Go to Jules Verns on the eiffel tower, get a good
meal ..then leave.

And as BigMac pointed out..In France a waiter is a high level
occupation, just above cheap whore, and grape crusher.

Joe

, easy to win BTW.