K. Smith

Default Hino Diesels - running hot?

Capt. Dan wrote:
Is 210 too hot? I know the manual says 190 to 210, but they seem to
be on the verge of overheating. I've done the heat exchangers,
intercoolers, impellars and trans cooler and they still run hot. My
idiot light sometimes flickers and flashes indicating to me they are
about to over heat. I'm not sure I totally trust these gauges. Most
of the time the starboard gauges are off by 10 degrees. They seem to
track more closely when I'm running over 20.

Thanks much,

Dan

That "might" be correct Dan depends on what motors you have. "Some"
(not many) of the japanese based diesels have the thermostat on the
inlet side of the block (i.e at the bottom not up the top as usual)
however they maintain the temp sender up at/near the outlet, so yes the
water coming "out" of the top is hotter.

Typically a bottom of block mounted thermostat will happily show
over 200 on the gauge. Before you go punching at clouds it's worth
checking to make sure where they're mounted & that they're in good order.