Short Wave Sportfishing Short Wave Sportfishing is offline

Default The Right Stuff for...

On 30 Apr 2007 12:46:48 -0700, wrote:

Bondo.- Hide quoted text -

Bondo is probably to brittle, as is plastic wood. the best stuff to
use is ***************** or *****************

As much as I love old wooden boats, (sell my soul for a llyman) and at
the risk of bad karma, I would rather see your project rot behind your
doublewide. Besides, anyone who would consider filling a beautiful
wooden boat with plastic wood, has obviously never worked on a real
wooden boat anyway, save a plywood skiff. Try the builders group,
maybe someone there doesn't know you yet.

Actually, bondo isn't that bad an idea as long as it's used for
fairing. There are a bunch of silicone based marine bondos out there
that are pretty stable and will flex. It the boat is painted that
shouldn't make a difference anyway.

I don't know if this is totally accurate, but I have it on good
authority that the Amistad had some planking problems which were
faired with bonbo. :)