NOYB

Default OT--why the 18-29 year olds support Kerry

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"NOYB" wrote in message
k.net...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"NOYB" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"NOYB" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"NOYB" wrote in message

Quite the contrary. When legitimate parallels between
historical
and
current events are presented to me, I spend a lot of

time
reading
historical
references to learn more.

Good. Read up on our adventures in the Phillippines.

The key phrase in my paragraph: *LEGITIMATE PARALLELS*.

But I will "read up on the Phillippines".

Can you provide a specific period or time frame that you're
alluding
to?
My
ADD will not allow me to spend hours sifting through two

centuries
of
US/Filipino history to find a parallel that may or may not

exist.

1898 through present. Try:
"In Our Image - America's Empire in the Phillippines", by

Stanley
Karnow.
There is no better chronicle on the subject.

The problem with obtaining knowledge from such a book lies in

the
fact
that
the word "Empire" has such negative connotations. Before I even

open
the
book, I've already formed an opinion about how the author is

about
spin
our relationship with the Filipinos.

I prefer a little less subjective source that simply gives me
historical
names, dates, and significant occurances as they relate to the

United
States
and the Philippines.

In the little digging around that I've done (in the last 38

seconds),
I'm
already having a hard time seeing a parallel to our current
involvement
in
Iraq. The Filipinos were fighting a revolution against Spain.

We
beat
Spain in the Spanish-American war...and then "bought" the

Philippines,
Puerto Rico, and several other islands. In other words, we

bought
an
island
that had spent centuries as a Colony, but the prior 3 years

fighting
for
independence from that outside controlling force...and then we

tried
colonize them again.

I just don't see the parallel with Iraq. Who is supposed to

play
the
role
of Spain? Where was the 3 year revolution prior to our arrival?

And,
finally, how are we "colonizing" Iraq? We're turning the

country
over
the Iraqis.

Where did you get your information in 38 seconds?

That was a joke in reference to your "attention span" comment from a

little
while ago.

Wherever you got it, it's about 99% incomplete. There's a big

difference
between an encylopedia and a book written by an historian.

I got it from a site that used the following books as references:

1. In Our Image: America's Empire In The Philippines. 1989, by Stanley
Karnow. pp. 75-195.
2. The Wars of America. 1981, by Robert Leckie. pp. 563-574.

Think it was enough? You don't have to be a Renaissance man, but at the

same
time, it's utterly pathetic to have such a narrow range of knowledge.

I have a narrow range of knowledge of a broad range of topics...and a broad
range of knowledge of a narrow range of topics.

You
should be ashamed of yourself, and your children should be placed in

foster
care.

Since you brought my kids into this...
Go **** yourself.