posted to rec.boats.building
Electricky Dicky Electricky Dicky is offline

Default plastic barrels and floating docks

On 19 Apr 2007 07:48:53 -0700, mark wrote:

I am going to build some floating docks but before I re-invent the
wheel I would like to get some opinions. They will be 16' long by 3'
wide and at either end I would put a plastic barrel under it, inside
the frame. The frame would be 2X8 rough sawn Juniper and the decking
would be 1 1/4" X 3 . First of all would this be stable or want to
roll, should I put a 3rd barrel in the center? If the barrels were in
a framework but free moving could they act as rollers to help when
pulling the docks out of the water. The beach is very gradual. I am
doing this on the cheap so I am not buying any floating dock hardware,
brackets, plastic floats etc...Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

Take a look at http://www.tiedown.com/amarinedls.html for some
pointers on dock design?
I have no experience of the designs or products, but they may assist.

--
Richard

Nb "Pound Eater" Parkend G+S
"Governments are like Nappies, they should be changed often."
(For the same reason)